Thursday 8 March 2012

...What is this thing they call Pop Music?

Now, this is one thing that really gets me down, and really strains my ability to have faith in life. I was going to save it for a few months time when I'd become an established blogger, but I thought 'why not?' Saves me doing something unproductive, like my pressing University work. It is this shameful excuse for music that is rammed down our Aural canals through various mediums, including Radios (watch out for my separate piece on the Radio coming soon), Television and those club nights we have to endure to fulfill our duties to be part of a social grouping. It seems that nowadays, we all just accept whatever music is spoon-fed to us as popular and good, and yes you guessed it, I am going to mention these manufactured acts and those who get fast tracked to stardom through reality Television shows. I'd just like to question why there is an acceptance of what is quite purely mediocre talent, and then for 90% of people to label it as 'Amazing'. There is so many more acts in the World with more talent in their left knee than some of these people, hold up, maybe i'm being unfair, I meant, take away the auto-tuning and other electronic 'assistance' these 'stars' have and you're left with a pretty face and something they like to call 'star personality. Why isn't raw musical talent and natural tone enough anymore?

Perhaps it's just me, and I don't want to start one of those YouTube-style arguments about Beiber vs God (unnecessary), or Metal being the music of Beelzebub (ridiculous), I merely want to have my rant. I just find it very unfair how these acts who aren't given the time of day who are Musically talented, miss out on the fame and fortune that they deserve, although thinking about it, maybe it suits them. I can't imagine being very jealous of missing out on an invitation to the Brit Awards for example, where this year we saw a lovely young lady from Tottenham put her middle-finger up at the 'suits', however does she not realise it is these 'evil' corporate individuals she has to thank for her over-hyped and exaggerated success. What a lovely example of the Music Industry today, don't bite the hand that feeds you is all I'm saying.

As an amateur musician myself, I see that the most disappointing result of this recent development in the Industry is the demise of the so-called 'Rock n Roll fairy-tale'. We see nowadays someone can spend a few weeks on the X-factor or that talent show playing/singing covers of Mariah Carey, Whitney Houston or Boyz II Men, then they are pretty much set to sell-out arenas nationwide for a few years, setting them up financially for life. It is now very rare for someone who puts in the years of effort, blood, sweat and tears touring small pubs and clubs with their own material getting their reward of just a little fortune and fame. I don't understand how these 'stars' nowadays can get a sense of earning their status. I know the life I'd prefer, although maybe I'm just a hopeless romantic stuck in the days of Radio Luxembourg and Rock n Roll. Am I the fool?

No comments:

Post a Comment